Mitchells & Butlers Background
The Mitchells & Butlers keg programmes are accessed by Nicholsons (30+ pubs) and Castle (114 pubs). We offer a new range of craft beers each quarter and the range can vary between the 2 brands.
Each quarter lasts 13 weeks and includes up to 10 products, with volume opportunities ranging from a one off autodrop of 300+ kegs to a full 13 week listing of 300 – 800 kegs depending on popularity of the beer.
Our Seasonal Craft Keg programme is regularly used as a platform for innovation, collaborations, product launches and exclusive to M&B products.
The Beer Company, what do we do ?
We consolidate all seasonal tender information on behalf of Mitchells & Butlers from direct brewers and those which are Beer Company supplied.
A direct brewer is a regional or national brewer with existing products set up directly with M&B
All other brewers/beers are supplied through The Beer Company
The seasonal programme is the first step for any brewer looking to work with M&B for the first time or with new products. All volume is delivered through Tradeteam and products must be available to all M&B brands (it is not possible to select which pubs you would like to supply)
- Up to 200 brewers will tender for the seasonal craft keg programme
- Successful brewers will be asked to send additional information for product set up (listed below)
- Forecasts are sent out in advance but are not available until the full range is confirmed. These are very much forecasts and are completely dependable on the popularity of the product with both our pubs and our guests. Unless an agreement is made ahead of the listing we can’t be held liable for any stock when the listing comes to an end.
- Beer Company Suppliers will receive an order on day 1 for collection day 2 and we may order up to 3 times a week.
- All orders are collected in full pallets
- Direct brewers will receive their orders and deliver to Tradeteam as normal
What Are We Looking For?
The craft beer market is constantly evolving, innovating, and engaging with a greater audience.
We always look to offer our guests a range of beers covering a variety of styles, abvs, and flavours, however we are mindful that the guest base in these pubs are still quite mainstream so extremely challenging beer styles and abvs over 8% are unlikely to be awarded a listing.
Please use the below points as considerations when proposing beers for this programme:
- Collaborations with other brewers
- Partnerships with 3rd parties e.g celebrities, food suppliers, charities, national events etc…
- Exclusive brews/Launch Products – partner with us to launch your beer to the market. Exclusive isn’t vital, but leading the market is
- Flagship Beers – those that craft beer drinkers love
- Series beers e.g. a different beer each season that follows a certain theme, process, style, story, etc.
- M&B Participation
We will also consider
- Professionalism and good relationships with our suppliers and the ability to complete all administration accurately and in full
- Good Commercials
- Strong Branding
- Good Social Media Presence
To be fair to all suppliers, we do not offer any specific advice on range or pricing to any brewer and direct contact with the buying team is not permitted during this time.
Seasonal listings come with no support expectations other than the below, so please put forward your best net price
- Beer Lenses are produced and delivered by Colorscan to all sites. This is a cheaper and more appropriate solution to sending them out direct from each brewery (breweries will be copied in on all orders for their beers and Colorscan will invoice brewers direct)
- Digital support throughout the listing via Social media and any website updates
There are multiple volume opportunities across our Craft Keg Seasonal programme and we’re extremely flexible for the right opportunity.
- A 13 weeks listing across Castle and Nicholson’s could generate 300 – 600 kegs
- A 13 weeks listing in just Nicholson’s could generate 100 – 300 kegs
- One off autodrops of 100-300+ kegs also exist for Castle
The Beer Company will be in touch with all successful brewers to confirm the brands each beer has been selected for and will provide a forecast based on these numbers. Please remember the forecasts are a guide and not an exact order so we recommend carry 2 weeks stock based on this forecast for the first few weeks, until you understand your own order patterns.
Pricing and Opportunities
- If you are already a direct supplier to M&B then the standard process will apply for deliveries, so please price accordingly
- If you’re a supplier to The Beer Company, please be aware that your pricing needs to be based on The Beer Company COLLECTING the beer from UK mainland brewers in full pallets of 18 x 30L kegs so there will be no logistics cost to the brewery.
- As mentioned already, please provide your best price on the tender return
- We analyse our product range annually and beers that have been popular on our seasonal range can become permanent, Mitchells & Butlers will be in touch if this opportunity becomes available.
- We are constantly working on new initiatives to work with other like minded companies, The Beer Company will be in touch if any other opportunities arise of this nature.
To work with M&B your brewery MUST have completed one of the approved audits, these are
- SALSA+ Beer
- BRC and Above
Administration Needed if Selected
Once shortlisted, we will ask brewers to e-mail back the following information (the forms will be e-mailed out after seasonal listing confirmations)
- Video tasting note
- Powerpoint Tasting Note
- Social Media details/pack
- Photo of brewery/brewer
- High Res Pump Clip Image
- Pricing Forms with duty details
Beer Company Suppliers will also need to provide the following additional information
- PDF of keg label ( showing BBD and allergen info )
- Copy of public liability insurance
- Allergen Spreadsheet
- Any other info you believe will help promote your beer
- This tender is exclusive and does not impact on any other contractual agreement that MABLR may have with your company
- Any contract approval will be subject to M&B’s Terms and Conditions
- The contents of this tender are private and confidential
Seasonal Keg Tender