Mitchells & Butlers Background
For a number of years M&B have successfully activated a seasonal cask beer range across a number of brands where a selection of up to 20 products are chosen for a 13 week listing, following the seasons Winter, Spring, Summer & Autumn.
Brands that have access to the seasonal range are; Nicholsons, Castle, Ember, High Street, Suburban, Toby, Vintage, PCP, Orchid and Leased.
The seasonal range segment of the cask ale category represent circa 15,000+ brls a year and is open to 600+ sites.
M&B’s seasonal range is regularly used as a platform for innovation, collaborations, and exclusive to M&B products.
The Beer Company, what do we do ?
We consolidate all seasonal tender information on behalf of Mitchells & Butlers from direct brewers and those which are Beer Company supplied.
A direct brewer is a regional or national brewer with existing products set up directly with M&B
All other brewers/beers are supplied through The Beer Company
The seasonal programme is the first step for any brewer looking to work with M&B for the first time or with new products. All volume is delivered through Tradeteam and products must be available to all M&B brands (it is not possible to select which pubs you would like to supply)
- Up to 400 brewers will tender for the seasonal programme
- Each season we will select 30 beers which will be shortlisted for the final 20 – 25 beers
- These brewers will be asked to send additional information which will help the purchasing team make their final selections (these are listed below)
- Confirmation to successful brewers are sent approx. 6 weeks before the start of a new programme
- Forecasts are sent out in advance but are not available until the full range is confirmed
- Beer Company Suppliers will receive an order on day 1 for collection day 2 and we may order up to 3 times a week.
- All orders are collected in full pallets
- Direct brewers will receive their orders and deliver to Tradeteam as normal
What Are We Looking For?
Below is a list of criteria we work to which should help you complete your tenders
To be fair to all suppliers, we do not offer any specific advice on range or pricing to any brewer and direct contact with the buying team is not permitted during this time.
No cask ale product is out of scope for this tender and all styles/categories can be submitted, we encourage the below
- Collaborations with other brewers
- Partnerships with 3rd parties e.g celebrities, food suppliers, charities, national events etc…
- Exclusive brews – either new recipes or ones from the archive
- Launch Products
- Innovation Products
- Flagship Beers
- Series beers e.g. a different beer each season that follows a certain them, process, style, story, etc.
- M&B Involvement
We will also consider
- Professionalism and good relationships with our suppliers and the ability to complete all administration accurately and in full
- Good Commercials
- Strong Branding
- Good Social Media Presense
We will be looking to fill the following criteria for all seasons.
||4 – 4.4%
||Session Under 4.5%
Seasonal listings come with no support expectations other than the below, so please put forward your best net price
- Pump Clips are produced and delivered by Colorscan to all sites. This is a cheaper and more appropriate solution to sending them out direct from each brewery (breweries will be copied in on all orders for their beers and Colorscan will invoice brewers direct)
- Digital support throughout the listing via Social media and any website updates
Successful listings could be across all our seasonal cask ale propositions or just a selection of them, and will be ordered by sites on a rotational basis alongside other seasonal products. Therefore, exact volume forecasts are difficult
- A listing across all our propositions could generate between 400 and 800 firkins over the full 13 weeks
- A listing in just Nicholson’s as an example, could generate orders between 150 and 300 firkins over a full 13 weeks
The Beer Company will be in touch with all successful brewers to confirm the brands each beer has been selected for and will provide a forecast based on these numbers. Please remember the forecasts are a guide and not an exact order so we recommend carry 2 weeks stock based on this forecast for the first few weeks, until you understand your own order patterns.
Pricing and Opportunities
- If you are already a direct supplier to M&B then the standard process will apply for deliveries, so please price accordingly
- If you’re a supplier to The Beer Company, please be aware that your pricing needs to be based on The Beer Company COLLECTING the beer from UK mainland brewers in full pallets of 18 x 9g so there will be no logistics cost to the brewery.
- As mentioned already, please provide your best price on the tender return,
- The price you submit in Price Box 1 will be the one we use initially to select the season programme for Nicholsons. The season range for other brands will be selected from this list of beers.
- We may look to open further opportunities to those with commercial proposals for e.g. An additional £5 discount off the tendered price to be listed in all M&B brands if selected or you may propose an additional discount if one of your beers were selected for all 4 seasons (4 beers in total)
To work with M&B your brewery MUST have completed one of the approved audits, these are
- SALSA+ Beer
- BRC and Above
Administration Needed if Selected
Once shortlisted, we will ask brewers to e-mail back the following information (the forms will be e-mailed out after seasonal listing confirmations)
- Video tasting note
- Powerpoint Tasting Note
- Social Media details/pack
- Photo of brewery/brewer
- High Res Pump Clip Image
- Pricing Forms with duty details
Beer Company Suppliers will also need to provide the following additional information
- PDF of cask label ( showing BBD and allergen info )
- Copy of public liability insurance
- Allergen Spreadsheet
- Any other info you believe will help promote your beer
- This tender is exclusive and does not impact on any other contractual agreement that MABLR may have with your company
- Any contract approval will be subject to M&B’s Terms and Conditions
- The contents of this tender are private and confidential